Monday, October 18, 2010

Greetings from Bangkok!

Well finally I can post about my travels!  (I have been in such remote areas that there has not been a connection for my computer and I've only had limited access to email.)

This morning I write from Bangkok after 10 days of exploring the Andaman coast (more on that later)...  I originally landed here in Bangkok on October 4 (after 20 hours of flying!) and these pictures are from the first three days here... Well, not exactly: I was so jet lagged when (I arrived at 1AM that I had the Tuk Tuk (open-air taxi) take me for a ride around the city because I was wide awake.  They say New York is the city that never sleeps but Bangkok should truly claim that slogan: there were night markets selling crafts and clothes and restaurants. I stayed up till 8 AM and then passed out and did not wake till 5PM.  So my first two days in Bangkok were asleep in my guest house!


The most enchanting memory of my first few days was hearing the monks chant and then seeing them in their bright orange with metal bowls and collecting alms (food) right in the middle of an urban jungle...

There are delicious meats to be eaten at every corner... I waited a week before giving my stomach a try at street food.  So far so ...yumm!

Many vendors lay down blankets and sell all sorts of antique trinkets.

I went to the Grand Palace, one of the major collections of temples and royal buildings in Bangkok.

Here a woman places gold leaf on a buddha at the Grand Palace to pray for wealth.




This the towering Wat Arun which I climbed all the way near the top!


More soon... have to catch a flight to Luang Prabang, Lao this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment