Monday, November 8, 2010

Blessings at the end of my first week in Luang Prabang...

My first week in Luang Prabang I taught English to teenagers (with a few theatre games thrown in!) at a school on the outskirts of town.  After my last class, the school prepared a lovely dinner for me: sliced apple and coconut bread.  Delicious! 


Here are the students I taught as well as (to my right) the teacher whose class I taught:


Each home has a small temple on the property.  This one is in the yard of the guesthouse where I stay.  The candle is lit as a blessing for the weekend of boat ceremonies that are about to start...


Saturday morning the whole town woke up before dawn, dressed in their best clothes and brought food and mats to the sidewalk to offer alms (food) to the monks.


The monks pass in silence one by one and locals fill their bowls.


This is the basket of a young boy who offer these alms to the monks: sticky rice, packaged candies, and banana and coconut wrapped in banana leaves.



Saturday evening I stopped by the temple nearby to observe the special weekend ceremony.  Afterwards I had the most delicious fresh rolls!


Outside the temple the children play carnival games while their parents and the elders pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment