Wednesday, December 22, 2010

BEST OF SE ASIA: CAMBODIA

Below are my favorite moments in Cambodia in November & December 2010.  This is a synopsis of each leg of my journey so below each picture (or set of pics) is a link to the blog page that gives more details of a particular place and time... I hope you'll click on the links and enjoy these unforgettable moments of the last three months.

Teaching at Orphans Disabled Arts (ODA)... Here is a fun, short video of me produced by Travel to Teach, a wonderful organization that helped me to find the best placements for teaching in SE Asia.  I am very happy that I used their services!


Taking the kids at ODA to the ancient temples in their neighborhood for the first time in their lives...








Being blessed and cleansed at a Khmer pagoda...





Soaking in the details of the ancient stonework "masks" at Ta Prohm Temple...



http://asiateachchi.blogspot.com/2010/12/more-khmer-masks.html


My last day of teaching at ODA. A very emotional goodbye... 



...and bicyclking to the home of one girl in the local neighborhood to meet her mom.  A family of six lives in this 9 foot by 8 foot hut.  


The most important moment of my time in Asia: meeting a little boy, Peav, who needs someone to remember him.  I believe that the greastest privilege of being human is to have at least one other person on the earth who thinks of you and remembers you.  Peav arrived to the orphanage one week before I did.  I spent a month tutoring him and got to know an incredible young soul.

The afternoon that I had to depart, Peav sobbed.  That night Leng (the founder of ODA) sent me a text message to tell me Peav was still crying.  I told him to tell Peav I will be his friend forever and I will write to him.  I miss him terribly...  I hope he gets my letters. 



No comments:

Post a Comment