Wednesday, December 22, 2010

BEST OF SE ASIA: LAOS

Below are my favorite moments in Laos in October & November 2010.  This is a synopsis of each leg of my journey so below each picture (or set of pics) is a link to the blog page that gives more details of a particular place and time... I hope you'll click on the links and enjoy these unforgettable moments of the last three months.

Meeting Kenny on my first day in Luang Prabang. Kenny was a monk for 5 years who works hard to transform his small village through literacy education: http://communityreadingroom.weebly.com/






The most enchanting town on earth: Luang Prabang...





A simple meal of sliced apple and coconut bread that was loving offered to me after my first week of teaching in Luang Prabang...




The most beautiful and fun waterfalls I have even experienced...




The Luang Prabang annual boat festival...



Teaching at Santiphab Public High School...






Meeting Kam, a wise monk at the age of 19 who shared his writings with me...






Going to Kenny's village and staying at his parents house where I was offered an apptizer of cured rat... 


And frolicking by the river on a perfect Laos afternoon...


Kenny and his parents prepared me a dinner under the second of their two light bulbs in their single room home...




Waking from a night of sleeping on the dirt floor and being enchanted by the smell of the smoke from the fire, the roosters crowing and the dogs barking.


Teaching a workshop to Kenny's students in his village where we had a blast learning Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star!



And having life slow down enough to spend inordinate amounts of time just photographing butterflies...




My last day of teaching class a class that I will remember fondly forever...



And two letters from a full stack that the students presented me with on my last day... I was moved deeply by these kind words:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment